top of page


The Lead-Based Paint Hazard Control Program is a HUD-funded program to control health hazards caused by lead-based paint in homes and apartments built before 1978 where at-risk children under 6 or pregnant members reside. The Program is administered by the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development and project:HOMES. Our program currently operates within the city of Richmond, Henrico County, the Tri-Cities, and Chesterfield County. The program falls into two categories: Richmond, Henrico, and Tri-Cities and Chesterfield County - qualifications may vary between these two areas, see below according to which district you reside in. 

Lead paint in older homes can pose a serious health hazard. Children are especially at risk. Small amounts of lead in a child's bloodstream can affect a developing brain and lead to a wide range of systems, from headaches and stomach pain to behavioral problems and anemia. In pregnant women, lead can result in complications to a pregnancy in addition to adverse pre-natal effects on a child's development. 

      *For Chesterfield County Residents, please see next section* 

Anchor 1


  1. You must live in a home located in the City of Richmond, Henrico County, or the Tri-Cities that was built before 1978.

  2. Renters and owners are able to participate. However, landlord permission is required in rental housing.

  3. Income of all household members 18 or older must total no more than 80% of the Area Median Income for Richmond (see chart below)

  4. You must be current on City property taxes and mortgage. If you are a renter, you must be in good standing with your landlord. 


  1. CONTACT project:HOMES (804-415-7300)

  2. COMPLETE AN APPLICATION: To get started you will need:

    • Driver's Licence or Government-Issued ID for all applicants at current address​

    • Income - most recent consecutive pay stubs covering at least 60 days of income or equivalent statement for all income sources (including SSI/SSA, retirement, etc.)

    • Most recent bank statement for all checking and savings accounts (3 monthly statements required)

    • Mortgage statement or copy of your lease

    • Recent Richmond City Utility Bill (water/gas)


  1. Based on safety objectives of the program, methods of controlling lead-based paint hazards will be determined by program administrators and a qualified contractor will be selected and supervised to complete the work.

  2. No assistance from this program comes in the form of cash or direct payment to participants. 

  3. To ensure safety, all occupants in the dwelling must temporarily relocate while the lead hazard control measures are completed. 



Call 804-415-7300 to get started


Anchor 2

This federally funded grant program was created to protect children ages 5 and younger and expectant mothers from the harmful toxins of lead-based paint. Lead-based paint is found in homes built before 1978 and is most harmful to children ages 5 and younger. 

Chesterfield County wants to ensure that its residents are aware of this grant program and the benefits for you and your household. We want to serve our residents and help create a healthier life for their families.

WHO IS ELIGIBLE? (must meet the following 5 requirements)

  1. Your home must be built before 1978.

  2. You must live in Chesterfield County.

  3. A child 5 years or younger must live or regularly visit the house, and/or an expectant mother must live at the house.

  4. You must be up to date with property taxes or be a renter in good standing.

  5. Income restrictions apply.


There is NO cost to you.​


  • Lead hazard assessment.

  • Household repairs to improve home health.


Call Emily Hurley, Client Services Coordinator at the Lead Hotline 804-415-7300 or email her at and she will assist you with the process.


Chesterfield residents may also apply online below:


Q: How old does my house have to be?

A: Your house must be built before 1978.

Q: What if I rent?

A: You can still qualify, but your Landlord's permission is required.

Q: What if I am pregnant?

A: Expectant mothers do quality.

Q: What if I am a caregiver, and the children are not at my house all the time?

A; You can still qualify, as long as the child/children are age 5 years or younger AND spend at least 3 hours a day for 2 days a week, and at least 60 hours a year in your home.

Q: Is there an income restriction?

A: The income of all household members 18 or older must total no more than 80% of the Area Median Income for Chesterfield County (see chart below). If you have questions, we are here to help.

Q: What paperwork do I need?

A: You will need:

  • Driver's License or Government-Issued picture ID for all applicants at the current address. 

  • Income verification of most recent consecutive pay stubs covering at least 60 days of income or equivalent statement for all income sources (including SSI/SSA, retirement, etc.).

  • Most recent bank statements for all checking and savings accounts (3 monthly statements for checking and 1 or savings).

  • Mortgage statement or copy of your lease.

  • Recent Chesterfield County Utility Bill (water/gas).

Q: What work will be done at my house?

A: Before any work is done, we will do a lead paint hazard assessment to see what needs to be repaired. Typical repairs depend on your house's specific needs and may include limited or exterior repainting, porch repairs, wall repair, window and door repair or replacement, or other related work. The program can also provide other health-based repairs related to fall prevention, indoor air quality, and minor electrical or plumbing issues.

Q: Who will do the work?

A: project:HOMES will arrange for a licensed and trained lead paint hazard control contractor to conduct the work under their direct supervision. 

Q: How long will the work take?

A: Once the contractor begins work in your house, it typically takes 8 to 10 days to complete work and to verify that the work has fixed the lead paint hazards. 

Q: Can I still be in my house during the work?

A: Most work involves the control or removal of hazardous material (lead-based paint). In most cases, it is not safe for a homeowner or tenant to remain in the home while this work is being done. The program can provide need-based stipend to help cover the cost of temporary lodging while the work is performed on your home.

bottom of page